Thursday, August 4, 2011

summer is off to such a wonderful start!

I have been at King's Domain now for approximately 12 days and 2 hours. I've been having so much fun these last two weeks getting to know my Summer Project family and preparing for the madness that arrives on Sunday called campers. The Momentum campers (high school age) come on Sunday and then Whiz Kids (kids from an urban ministry) come on Tuesday. I'm especially excited for Tuesday because those are the kids who I'll be spending my week and most of my summer with. I'll be a counselor for a group of girls most likely between the ages of 7 and 12 with another Summer Project-er which means I'll be hanging out with them, eating with them, taking them to various activities, and sharing our theme of "Shine" with them throughout the week. They'll also be attending "Workshops" and I'll be leading the Journalism one (we'll be making a camp newsletter woootwooot!).

Throughout this past week in our Bible studies we've been studying Matthew 18 and what it means to be the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus addresses his disciples in this passage with the answer that people who are humble with childlike faith, those who chase after lost believers who have strayed, and those who forgive and show mercy are the greatest in the Kingdom. Going off of that, we've also been learning about what it means to be the Kingdom, the Temple, and the Nation as a body of believers here on SP together this summer. Things like loving one another, being a light to each other by pursuing Christ as our first love, showing humility, forgiving one another, and using our time, talents, and treasures to further His kingdom have been the topics of our discussions and I am learning tons about this every day. Being here 24/7 with 30ish people around me makes it easy to put this into practice :)

and now list mode begins...

my top 10 favorite things from this past week:
1. climbing the Power Pole (a 30 ft. telephone pole; I was in a harness and then got to jump off and fly down!)
2. playing Euchre with Andrea, Jenn, and Bryan. So far we're tied 2-2 and the competition is
going to continue throughout the summer.
3. the Amazing Race team building competition. We did some crazy awesome activities in small
groups including climbing a small mountain while holding onto a rope.
4. our Walmart trip today when we got free ice cream!
5. car rides (aka jam sesh) with my SP family
6. our reoccurring dance parties
7. girl talk at night while avoiding the plethora of spiders that have set up their homes in our cabin.
8. playing with all of the little kiddos who are here for the summer with their parents :)
9. hearing testimonies during meals
10. spending time with my Project "family" at night

Thanks for reading everyone! I've loved all of the letters and encouragement that have been sent my way. I have had to dance in front of everyone to get each letter, but it's always worth it :) Please keep me up to date on what's happening in all of your lives! Y'all are awesome!

Love you lots, Kayla

Here are a few pictures of camp courtesy of my friend Andrea!


[welcome to King's Domain!]

[the Selah rock at the entrance of camp]

[power pole]

[obstacle course]

More pictures to come very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment